Sunday, September 23, 2007

Living Biblically

The new book "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" is not fiction. The author, AJ Jacobs, really did spend a year trying to follow ALL the bible's rules. (The book goes on sale Oct 9, so I haven't read it yet, but I imagine I will!)

I love the concept and the outcome. Apparently a task that was sort of a joke turned into a genuine spiritual quest, after which the author found himself a changed person.

Some of the rules he followed:
* No clothing of mixed fibers
* No sitting in a chair that a menstruating woman has used
* No beard cutting
* No winking

Apparently the bible has 72 pages of explicit rules. Not sure what following all of that would do for my soul, but I have a pretty good idea of what it would do to my lifestyle!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you'd like to hear A.J. Jacobs talk about his new book, "The Year of Living Biblically," check out this audio interview link.