Sunday, September 16, 2007

Controversy in Chaska

There's a new law in Chaska:

Should parents be held legally liable for the results of underage drinking that goes on in their home, even if they did not actually procure the alcohol themselves? Even if they are not at home at the time the alcohol is consumed?

First reaction - of course! Raise your kids right, darn it.

Second reaction - hmm... what would that law have meant for my own parents?!

I told my daughter that we could lose our home if anything drug or alcohol related ever happened on our property. (That's actually true in some townhome communities around here - a drug-related arrest is cause for eviction. But Golden Valley hasn't adopted it yet...) I think she believed me!

My parents pretty much had no clue about any of the teenage drinking that went on in their home because it never happened with them there. That's an interesting twist within the law - they don't even have to be home to be responsible.

But if they don't shovel the sidewalk they don't have to be home to lose the lawsuit when someone falls...

No comments: