Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Family Road Trip

"You might be a Gen-Xer if... you took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van. You rode in the back of the station wagon and you faced the cars behind you."

Oh, yeah. We had the ultimate station wagon – the Checker Cab version. Bigger & badder than the wooden-door kind – although once when I was about 12, we were going across Arizona and the back door flew open for no reason! Luckily I was lying down so didn’t fall out. Another time – same trip, different state – a pheasant hit the windshield. Seriously. Huge bird. Freakish.

My brother & I visited 40+ states before we were 18, thanks to parents who believed in the family car trip. And no DVD player in the back for us! We watched license plates for different states, played the alphabet game with the billboards, and read books.

This summer, however, I will take my daughter to college in Philadelphia via airplane - no long car trip for us. I just don't see that as the greatest way to spend our last couple days together! Instead, we'll fly out early & hang out with my aunt. Much better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

47 States by the time I was 17. All in either a Tan Toyota Corona or Brown Ford LTD Station Wagon. Books, Word search puzzles, Licence plate game, mystery ink books, you name it we played it. All without a DVD...and I still love my brother! (plus a soft spot for the tourist trap gift store!)

Emily Lilja Palmer said...

I forgot about the mystery ink books - we did a million of those! Too funny!!!