Saturday, February 03, 2007

Molly Ivins RIP


Molly Ivins died of cancer on Wednesday and it’s taken me three days to sit down & finish writing about it. Such a huge loss, to journalism and to America. It takes time to digest.

Few people have both inspired and entertained me more. I love her work and I love her attitude. Expressing outrage with humor is a unique skill – one that I don’t possess – but one that I admire. I am not into celebrity-worship, but she is truly a hero to me.

The Strib yesterday had an example of typical Ivins, talking about the Texas legislators she often pilloried: “When I would denounce some sorry sumbitch, I would courageously prepare myself to be horsewhipped at the least. All the ever happened was, I’d see the sumbitch in the capitol the next day, he’d beam, spread his arms, and say, ‘Baby! Yew put mah name in yore paper!’”

I remember hearing her speak at some fancy dinner probably a decade ago, and loving every minute of it. She speaks truth on serious topics, but always with humor. I still have her autograph somewhere.

In her honor, I will try to write more often in 2007! Check out her most recent columns (click a choice under her picture):

http://www.creators.com/opinion/molly-ivins.html?columnsName=miv

No comments: