Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ancient Chinese Wisdom

"A leader is best
When people barely know he exists…
When his work is done, his aim fulfilled,
They will say: we did it ourselves."
- Lao-tzu

I wonder how much good Gen X leaders are fulfilling this ideal and thus not getting much credit for taking the reigns from the boomers...?

Sidebar: As I was researching, I was amused to find that there is a whole company - actually more than one - devoted to translating the wisdom of Sun-Tsu's ancient "Art of War" into modern business - and it makes a lot of sense! I'm not sure this is what I went back to grad school for, but it is interesting...


2 comments:

micjael jess said...

interesting views.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this reminds me of what they used to tell us was a hallmark of a good teacher... that if you were absent for a day and everything went smoothly (the kids knew what to do, they could maintain themselves AND tell the Sub what was going on) then you ran a pretty good ship. Good leaders not only show good citizenship and incorporate good values but they inspire others to do the same with or without their presence.