Thursday, January 26, 2006

What Do Gen X Workers Want?

Fortune mag asks the question & comes up with some interesting info – including some from a book called The NeXt Revolution. Check out the article: http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/17/news/companies/bestcos_genx/index.htm?cnn=yes

I found the stats on workplace turnover & priorities interesting…
* 77% of Gen X poll respondents say they'd quit in a minute if offered "increased intellectual stimulation" at a different company
* 51% would quit for the chance to telecommute
* 61% of Gen X women would leave their current jobs if they were offered more flexible hours elsewhere
* The average employee in his or her late twenties has already switched jobs five or six times.

So one stereotype of us that seems to bear out is that we’re not “company men” in the traditionalist sense – whereas my dad worked for one firm (through three mergers) for over 20 years. Not too common these days!

The poll also said that the top three things Gen X respondents want in a job are:
- positive relationships with colleagues,
- interesting work,
- continuous opportunities for learning.

True?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we are not loyal to companies because companies are not loyal to us. Maybe I am jaded. However it leads me to tell you we will be back in MN by mid June!! Jan in Denver

Emily Lilja Palmer said...

That's probably a big factor! Are we generally more jaded than previous generations???

Anonymous said...

Considering we learned our letters and numbers because they were marketed to us via Sesame Street. Yes we are jaded. We are used to everything having an ulterior motive. (Disclaimer: I LOVE SESAME STREET!)

Anonymous said...

The poll results make no mention of pay. Are we to assume these other, more attractive jobs pay the same? What about breadwinning responsibilities? Do the results vary regarding the need to feed, house, and clothe a family?

There is truth to the loyalty issue.. it's being proven that employers think short term when it comes to assessing the value of their flesh and blood assets. But additionally, it's much easier for (young) people to move between jobs. Society as a whole is less anchored by geography. Travel is easier than ever... highways, airlines. How many families do you know where siblings live hours or more away from each other?

Emily Lilja Palmer said...

I suppose itt IS easier for the young and unencumbered to switch jobs... That's why seniority is such an issue in schools - the idea that it's better to lay off someone young & single than someone with 2 kids & a mortgage.

I personally think companies - schools, any empolyer - should lay off according to quality performance, but that brings up the issue of fair evaluation, which is a topic for another day!

Anonymous said...

Fair Evaluation? What is that? In my experience I'm glad my job isn't just based on that. As an African American I've often had to work two and three times as hard as my peers to prove myself. I've been targeted directly with discrimination because of my race and told so by someone who was on the "in" with the click of white teachers who were "out to get" me. Anyhow... I'm REALLY NOT a negative person so I won't dwell on this but I believe some of those "youngsters" who don't like seniority will see things differently when they are older, and more experienced. Experience does count for something! Also, it seems like the older you get... yes... the more financial responsibility you get and IT IS harder to all of a sudden find yourself jobless. When I was in my twenty's getting laid off every year it really was no big deal because I knew I had something to fall back on. NOW... well it would be a free fall. eg

Anonymous said...

OK, my age is showing. I"m not anonymous but I obviously did't quite get how to do this, due to the fact that I really don't have time... like your other entry talked about. see ya. eg again