Saturday, January 14, 2006

Question Your Work

I have read that Gen X is more likely than its predecessors to work just for the income rather than insisting on finding joy (or at least satisfaction) at work. I don’t believe it. I would agree that we expect a well-rounded life and are more likely to leave at 5pm for friends or family, but I don’t see the “it’s just a job” mind-set in people I know. My Gen X friends are proud of their professional accomplishments!

I remember my dad (a traditionalist – not a boomer) explaining that he didn’t expect to love his work, because work was what he did so that he could do what he loved outside of work. (And he had a great, successful career!) I didn’t buy it. I still think if you’re going to put that many hours into something, you had better love it.

Check out Suzy Welch’s questions (thanks Oprah mag 9-05) for determining the best job for you:

1. Does this job allow me to work with “my people” – individuals who share my sensibilities about life – or do I have to put on a persona to get through the day?
2. Does this job challenge, stretch, change, and otherwise make me smarter – or does it leave my brain in neutral?
3. Does this job, because of the company’s brand or my level of responsibility, open the door to future opportunities?
4. Does this job represent a considerable compromise for the sake of my family, and if so, do I sincerely accept that deal with all of its consequences?
5. Does this job – the stuff I actually do day-to-day – touch my heart and feed my soul in meaningful ways?

For me, these questions are affirming that although my job is really frustrating at times, I do love it and it’s perfect for me. ¿Y tu?

No comments: