Sunday, January 08, 2006

Not Thinking about Poverty

I just figured out that one reason my winter break (from teaching) has been so relaxing is that I have not had to deal with poverty in almost two weeks. I – and pretty much everyone around me – have been comfortable. My daily work life is immersed in trying to mitigate the effects of poverty on my students, (and in figuring out the extent to which the schools can even do that,) punctuated by dealing with the crises that arise, often linked to poverty and the cultures of generational poverty.

It’s exhausting. I believe in fighting the good fight, but it’s been pretty great to have a break.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Vacationing in Mexico probably wouldn't be too fun for you either. I felt such discomfort in Mazatlan with the begging. I didn't want to have to acknowledge it on a vacation. I'm happy to send money to charities where I can stay detached, but having to see it up close is hard. It was hard seeing some of my daughter's classmates in kindergarten who lived in homeless shelters and wore dirty, unsuitable clothing. It was easier to love them though. You actually feel like you can touch their lives when they're close to home.

Emily Lilja Palmer said...

That's why teaching is cool - you can touch their lives & make a difference. I never give $$ on the street.