Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy Things from Colleen Kruse

Every Saturday I get to my step class a little early - it gets crowded so I have to - and read the new City Pages or Rake mag for a few minutes before class. Rake is no longer weekly, so it's a treat when there's a new one, and I always turn first to Colleen Kruse's column.

She's always funny - I first discovered her as a stand-up comedian well over 10 years ago when she was the warm-up for Lizz Winstead one night, and have been to see her lave many times. But this month's column about the pleasures of autumn is particularly entertaining, so I have to share.

A sample:

I love wearing clothes that cover my stomach. I love that the threat of being invited to something that might require a bathing suit is past. I like incorporating more cheese and less salad into my diet. I love watching television while eating cheese while wearing something that covers my stomach.

At this time of year I love soup. It is hot, salty, soothing liquid love. That sounds dirty but it’s not, so get your damn mind out of the gutter; I’m talking chunky chicken noodle here.

I love turtleneck sweaters, the smell of Vicks VapoRub, and having a sore throat so I don’t have to talk. I love catching cold, because I love soup and I love it when people feel sorry for me and I love complaining about my lot in life while people I love make me soup.

She's random, but she's funny. :)


No comments: