Saturday, October 20, 2007

GPS Your Kid

There are a hundred examples of tension between freedom and education, but this one is really a kick. A school in the UK, Hungerhill School in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, is trying out a system that embeds microchips into students' uniforms that register their attendance as they come into the classroom. The kids are participating voluntarily as part of a science project.

Of course an article in the London Times today sparked immediate controversy. While the school officials maintain that this is for attendance purposes only and they are not trying "Bog Brother" tactics to monitor students' every move, critics point out that it's not much different that a criminal wearing an ankle-bracelet tracking device.

Action on Rights for Children (ARCH) makes the connection with another recent article about a company that is considering putting microchips into kids' clothing for parents to be able to track them. Apparently, after contacting the company, ARCH found out that this isn't just an idea, but something the company is actively working on. How long until that's something parents can buy at Macy's?

I don't know a ton about the British education system, but the website says the Hungerhill School is a "11-16 comprehensive school" - which implies upper high school grades to me. I think it's interesting to start at the level rather than with younger kids.

What exactly is being accomplished? If it saves the teacher the time of taking attendance, I think that's cool. I have fantasized about a system in which a kid just swipes their ID card at the door & it monitors who's where. This just takes it to the next level - no ID card necessary.

But the idea of having one's movements monitored should be of serious concern to Americans. Right now, if I don't actively turn it off, my cell phone has a GPS that can track me. (I'm not even sure about my work cell - can my boss track me now? Good grief.) In an emergency, sure, I'd love to be tracked down by someone coming to rescue me. But daily life?

As you've seen in previous posts, I long ago gave up any pretense to privacy. In this age, you can find out a lot about me without leaving your living room (or wherever your computer is.) My have always been listed in the phone book, and in 15 years my students have never abused it. I guess I just don't see the point of privacy if I'm not doing anything I shouldn't - and in my profession, doing things I shouldn't isn't really an option. So it's sort of moot for me. But for average Americans, I'm not so sure.

Bottom line - I have no problem monitoring kids and I don't think they need adult freedoms until they are adults. But I think every encroachment on freedom is dangerous, and things like microchips in kids' clothing need to be VERY carefully considered as a matter of public policy.

Ironically, Boondocks today
is on technology - so McGruder leaves us with a laugh. :)

No comments: