Friday, February 24, 2006

Juxtaposition

I was struck this morning by a one-two reality punch.

First, George Will’s column about why conservatives are happier than liberals – for the first time EVER, I agreed with the whole thing. I usually think he’s full of it, but in this case I thought he was right on – he says conservatives have lower expectations, so they are not often disappointed. Makes sense. Even his requisite FDR attack was not completely unreasonable…

But then I turned to Nick Coleman’s local column, and his reminder of why we can’t leave people – little children in particular – to their bootstraps was like a slap in my momentarily complacent face. The sate of MN has cut $61 million in child-care spending – who knew we ever spent that much in the first place?!! Imagine for a minute how many pre-schools can be run on $61 million a year… and are now closed.

I suspect that most folks would agree that being liberal with children & conservative with adults is fair – and yet policy never quite gets there.

Someday?

Read the columns:
WILL
COLEMAN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conservatives prefer to spend the money on jails rather than preschools. Of course there is no correlation between the two.

Jan in Denver

Emily Lilja Palmer said...

Of course. And let's not get started about what "conservatives" will spend $$$ on these days.