Saturday, January 26, 2008

Post from Eagle Bluff


I just returned from two days out in the cold with 160 6th graders at the environmental learning center at Eagle Bluff. I want to say "up north" but it's actually south of here. We had a BLAST - but it was an adventure in more ways than one! And although I did have an internet connection and my laptop, I didn't have time to post.

The picture here shows Brenda standing on the platform of the high-ropes course that I was on for most of the morning, helping students navigate through the challenges. I took the picture from another one further along. I'm not afraid of heights, so being up there was actually pretty fun.

The interesting thing about the ropes course is that it's full of choices - you can go the easy way, a couple middle-level options, or complete the challenge and go all the way. Kids do whatever they can handle. It is not my habit with physical challenges to go for the max, but I did on this one and finished the whole course - just to entertain the kids.
This was a classic case of doing something "for the kids" that I was not so excited about, and finding that it was actually entertaining for me as well.

No comments: