Sunday, January 06, 2008

Here's My Excuse

My mother was giving me a hard time this fall about my choice not to get a flu shot - I never have - and my standard "why put anything into my body that doesn't belong there" response was not working...

But maybe this will: Kids in Nigeria, which has had a tough time eradicating polio, are contracting it from the vaccine. (Read more here.) I seriously suspect I would get the flu from the vaccine - rightly or not - and that's why I won't do it.

I have not taken a sick day for myself in my entire 15 year career (knock wood, praise the Lord - though
I did take four for my kid in '02) and it seems to me that the way to keep it that way is to keep doing what I'm doing! (That's lots of water and sleep, if you're curious. :) So the flu shot is still not on my list.

No comments: