Saturday, August 04, 2007

I Don't Get It

Not a huge controversy, but interesting anyway... a writer on PopWatch takes issue with MTV censorship of a video. Apparently the top pop song these days is "Beautiful Girls" by Sean Kingston (or rather, by Lieber & Stoller, performed by Kingston.) I didn't know that - maybe because I'm 39 and just don't watch enough MTV?

OK, I don't watch MTV at all, so I haven't seen this - though the link includes the video - but apparently MTV, in its infinite wisdom, blanks out a couple words (or a few lines, depending on who you believe) of the song on the video. That, in itself, can't be surprising, but here are the lines:

You're way too beautiful, girl
That's why it'll never work
You'll have me suicidal, suicidal
When you say it's over

Now I absolutely think the lines are stupid - but not in need of censorship. The idea of dying over rejection is pathetic, but do teens need to be protected from the very idea? Come on.

Frankly, while I'm impressed that MTV actually does bleep out offensiveness - another thing I didn't know - all this does is draw attention to something that would otherwise have received much less attention.

Dumb.

No comments: