Saturday, May 19, 2007

Apparently I Owe You an Update

A couple people have commented that I haven’t been posting much recently, and while I have been very busy, I don’t seem to be doing anything worth writing about! Hmmm

A few random, possibly interesting things from recent weeks:
* Was very proud last weekend as my daughter gave a tribute speech about me at a parent appreciation luncheon. Nice to have it reaffirmed that I really AM the most important person in her life. :)
* Hosted local writer Syl Jones in my classroom last Friday – not nearly as controversial in person as he is on paper. Very nice guy.
* Still dating a Republican. Still having mixed feelings about that.
* Received an email from my ex-husband, congratulating me on my new job and asking what my daughter wants as a graduation gift. Only interesting because we haven’t spoken in a VERY long time. (And that he’ll probably get in trouble now because his new wife reads my blog & he’s not allowed to contact me. Too bad saying this is likely NOT the way to get her to quit reading it.)
* Had my hands & feet dipped in hot wax as part of the mani/pedi routine – am amused at how my hands look covered in wax – like a Star Trek creature. (Am easily amused, obviously.)
* Got an email from Al Franken’s son – didn’t open it yet.
* Told a whole bunch more people (who asked) that my kid is heading for U Penn in the fall. Starting to sink in that my kid is heading for U Penn in the fall.
* Planning her graduation parties. Yes, plural.
* Planning a friend’s retirement party and another friend’s grad-school graduation party. Not hosting any of the above parties at my house.
* Am finally making decent retirement plan contributions, as my new job offers a 4% match, where the old job just gave about $500 if you contributed the minimum. Am apparently too responsible not to do what it takes to get the full match, much as I’d rather spend the $$ now.
* Read that the creators of Facebook turned down a $1 billion buy-out offer. My kid is a Facebook devotee – have to wonder what’s next for that site.
* Continue trying to be everywhere at once. Having mild success.
* Not finding much time to ruminate on the state of Gen X in relation to the wider world...

No comments: