Sunday, March 18, 2007

Post from St Paul

(written Friday, posted Sunday - no internet access at the convention)

I am sitting in a huge hall at RiverCenter listening to candidate speeches at the state teachers union convention. Every officer position is up this year, with no incumbents running. Interesting year!

Speeches are short and are usually the most interesting part of the agenda, but I am still compelled to multi-task. I have a folder of student essays to score, a paper to finish for a grad class, and of course this post to write.

There are several candidates for state union leadership positions who are clearly Gen X. Of course, the older I get, the more logical that gets, but it’s still nice to see. :) Tom Dooher, the candidate we’re supporting for President, is Gen X. Mary Cathryn Ricker, the Gen X St Paul teachers union president I wrote about a couple months ago, gave a very polished speech. (You wouldn’t guess she’s younger than me!) Anne Lewerenz, from Minneapolis, is another dynamic Gen X leader running for Governing Board. There are well over 500 delegates here, so it’s a kick to see our generation – supposedly so disinclined toward institutional involvement - leading such a large group!

Speeches continue…
Worst line of the night: “I love issues.” (Good grief. As I tell my students: think first, then speak.)

Best line: “Don’t cry because it’s over… smile because it happened.”

No comments: