Saturday, March 10, 2007

3 down, 6 to go...

Waiting to see if your kid gets accepted to the college of her choice may not be an activity many Gen-X parents are engaged in this month, but I am!

My lovely daughter has been accepted to three of the nine colleges to which she applied - with three weeks left of waiting to hear from the other six! A big THANK YOU from mom to the schools that let her know before April 1 that they want her - it takes some of the pressure off...

I was happy to hear her tell a friend today that, given the choices in front of her so far - American, Whittier and Rollins - she would probably end up in DC. Yay! I am not excited about her going off to a city in which I know no one - it's hard enough not to be there myself! But if she lands in DC, she'll be in a place where I have friends & family - a nice security net. Still waiting to hear from Georgetown and GW, but American is a good start.

Of course she has NO interest in mom's alma matter - the U of MN - and she only applied to one school in Minnesota, so very slim chance that she ends up here. Hence my concern for where she DOES land. (So far, so good... just pray for patience for us as we wait for news. :)

Are Gen-X parents - with their long-held distruct of anything institutional - be pushing their kids to college the way our parents pushed us? I hope so! College attendance is at its highest rate ever in America - despite ridiculously rising tuition. Thankfully, more and more schools are following Harvard's lead with "need-blind" acceptance, meaning they will accept kids based on merit, and then provide whatever financial aide the kid needs.

I'm not sure I'm in total agreement with Bill Clinton's notion that ALL American kids should go to college, but to my mind, access is everything. That my kid CAN is what matters in the end.

No comments: