Tuesday, November 14, 2006

And So It Goes...

I am so disappointed that the Strib came out calling for Chris Stewart's head over this Tammy Lee website thing!

http://www.startribune.com/561/story/808634.html

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised! Comfortable white folks miss the point - almost intentionally. The spoof site points at the ugly truth beneath the surface - or at the least the truth as it's perceived by some in communities of color!

It's fine to maintain that Lee's campaign was about more than offering a safe alternative to the muslim black guy - I'm sure it was to Lee! - but we cannot deny that it offered safe harbor to folks who couldn't bring themselves to vote for either Ellison or Fine.

A friend told me today that she voted for Ellison precisely because he's muslim and black - overlooking the parking tickets, et al. I think that's totally appropriate, and told her so. There are plenty of folks in Congress who look & think like us. We can afford to elect one person who's a little different.

No comments: