Saturday, August 12, 2006

What is Chick Lit?

As an English major and fan of literature from a female perspective, I have read lots of novels by women. Some of them probably fall into the "chick lit" category - the definition of which I'm not sure I really understand, and have honestly not thought much about.

So when I saw two book covers: "This Is Not Chick Lit" and "This Is Chick Lit" I just assumed they were spoofs - until I read the accompanying text and realized they are both anthologies being published this summer. Check it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-the-press/2006/08/10/this-blog-post-is-not-chi_e_26955.html


As I thought about it, I realized that I am guilty of two things:
* I probably tend to avoid most "chick lit" because I assume (ah, we know about that word!) that it's stereotype-filled fluff that's not worth my time,
* I just read and really enjoyed Candice Bushnell's "Lipstick Jungle".

Lipstick Jungle is not a story from which I learned anything or even got any new ideas, but it was a fun read and very affirming of women in leadership and women who don't operate within traditional roles. That is probably the essence of chick lit - and if so, why avoid it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thinking....

Is chick lit to us what romance novels were to our moms?

Jan in Mpls

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Emily, as with all genres, plus literary fiction, Chick-Lit has its share of good and bad books. Our intention with THIS IS CHICK-LIT is to showcase the wide range of storytelling styles - paranormal, mystery, satire, metafiction, magic realism, romantic comedy etc - and themes that fall under the umbrella heading of Chick-Lit. As aditor, and one of the contributors, it is my hope that we have achieved that goal...and that you'll give the book a shot. :)