Monday, April 17, 2006

New Perspective

New addition to the blogroll today - Riverbend's "Baghdad Burning". I just received her book from my brother for my birthday, and then today (before I even had a chance to look up her blog) I came across it on another site. The stars align! A first-hand perspective on the war in Iraq - not something I would normally be devoting a lot of space here too, but it's just in my face this week, and I'm intrigued! Blessedly, this blog is not just news - recent posts are very funny!

It's easy to be overwhelmed by the war and just tune out... until a relative or friend gets called up & it gets personal...

Saw a great political button the other day: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Yes, these concepts connect somehow... I think when it comes to the war, it's true that I'm not outraged BECAUSE I'm not paying attention. I tune it out. I have the excuse that my work is difficult and my students take most of my energy - and my daughter gets the rest - so I don't have much left with which to worry about how America is destroying itself as it destroys Iraq...

Lame but true. Which begs the question: to what extent is this true of much of our generation?


No comments: