Sunday, April 23, 2006

New in Minnesota...

It seems to me that each generation is more progressive than the last. In my mother's youth, she had non-white friends at school or through sports, but it was understood that she would not bring them to her suburban Philadelphia home. Not spoken, maybe, but understood. I, on the other hand, had kids of color at my birthday parties before I was old enough to invite them myself. Growing up in the city meant always having non-white friends. When I dated a boy of color, however, that was a little different story. It was "OK," but not exactly applauded. Today, we have progressed even further: my daughter's dates have been Jewish, Latino, black and white. Her friends could hardly care less. Racial & cultural differences are interesting, not unusual.

I was intrigued a few months ago when a friend emailed to say that another friend was starting up a group for multiracial families - since that does describe both my immediate and extended family!

MOSAIC - multi-cultural off-spring and interracial couples - got started with about 8 couples/families, and is steadily growing! I think it's a cool idea. Next weekend the group gathers again both for play and for learning - children play (supervised) while the adults gather for discussion.


The mission is twofold - for support and for socializing. Research shows that it's important for mixed kids to hang out with other children like them, so this gives kids a venue through which to see their families as the norm! Ditto for the adults - a place to relax & enjoy the company of other couples with similar experiences. (Heaven knows Minnesotans can be a pretty homogenous lot - though Minneapolis is home to a very interesting mix of folks!)

Check it out: http://www.mosaicmn.com/

Some day, I expect that my daughter will create her own mixed family. Maybe she won't need it, but I hope there's a group like this around for her.

No comments: