Saturday, October 04, 2008

Something Non-Political, Please!

Lord have mercy, I think this election has taken over the public consciousness like a cancer! Yes, I think it's fabulous that folks are paying attention, and I hope everyone votes, but I am really looking forward to a dinner with friends tonight that I am reasonably sure will NOT be dominated by political topics.

(OK, I am also throwing a fund raising party for a friend on Wednesday who is running for local office, but hey, we get to talk about schools there, not lipstick or Russia or wall street.)

Surely something else of interest is going on in the world!

Today is the last day of Banned Books week - I'm bummed that I missed it! Time to celebrate To Kill a Mockingbird, Huckleberry Finn, and other great works that are too brain-stretching for conservative tastes.

Bless Sheila Variations for posting on Paul Newman's passing - the loss of a great man is truly worth a moment of reflection.

I just got a new credit card in the mail - which I found somewhat amusing given the craziness in the credit industry the last couple weeks because of the wall street meltdown. Maybe I should be thankful instead of amused... but somehow getting another zero-percent interest card just cracked me up.

Riverbend hasn't posted to Baghdad Burning in almost a year. It makes me sad to wonder what she's going through - still in Syria? Still safe? Too depressed to write? What must it be like to be a refugee watching your country get torn apart for five straight years? I mean dang - the American Civil War didn't even last that long. We weren't in WWII for that long either.

The Peace Foundation in Minneapolis is hosting the 5th annual Peace Ball next weekend, and yes, we will be there. Check out Melissa's pix from last year's bash at QueenMAB.

And if after all that you still need a fix, check out English Al-Jazeera's special section for US presidential election coverage. That'll keep it interesting!

No comments: