Sunday, April 20, 2008

Peacemakers

A seminar is not usually my first choice for a Saturday, but I attended a great one yesterday! Peacemaker Ministries teaches conflict resolution using biblical principles - very interesting.

A few highlights:

There are three categories of responses to conflict: flight, attack, or conciliation. Of course the first two are much easier than the third!

The "four promises of forgiveness" are really just sensible ways to ensure that a conflict, once resolved, stays that way - definitely something I can use with students with different language!
- I will not dwell on the incident
- I will not bring it up later & use it against you
- I will not talk to others about it
- I will not all it to stand between us
If my 6th graders would commit to these promises, we'd have a lot less drama in the middle school! :)

Conflict can provide opportunities - sometimes to hep others, or serve others, or for us to grow! And sometimes even the chance to glorify God. So conflict is not - as "Minnesota Nice" would have us believe - something always to be avoided. Ha - radical concept.

I was glad to have the time to think about how to bring positivity into situations where it is needed - it was powerful. God is so good!

No comments: