Sunday, June 22, 2008

Memories

Reading The Sheila Variations usually leads to me finding something she wrote that I want to copy, and today is no exception! In "You Can't Take it With You" she lists favorite memories that she'd like to take with her when she dies.

Here are a few of mine. I would love to hear other people's too...

* Long weekend in Newport RI in '94 with my friend Rachael and a bunch of people we had never met & never saw again, but who adopted us because one was a friend of a friend and we were coming through town

* Playing yard games with the neighborhood kids on summer nights when we were young - something I didn't consciously appreciate until some girls from school who lived a few blocks away wandered down one night & commented on how cool it was that our block all hung out & played together

* Halloween parties my senior year ('85) dressed as the Robert Palmer back-up band with my 3 best friends

* Graduation day the first year I taught seniors ('05) at Patrick Henry HS - seeing the blessing in each one who made it to the finish line

* Visiting U Penn and Columbia last spring with my daughter who was trying to choose between them after being accepted to both - being so incredibly proud of her every day

* Watching my 3-year-old nephew climb on my dad's tombstone & knowing the God holds us all and life goes on...

No comments: